Friday, January 6, 2012

Canning Soup

One of the things I worry about, perhaps disproportionately so, is the chemical load from the packaging our food comes to us in. I don't really trust even "BPA-free" packaging - what's hiding in there that will be the Big Bad next week/month/year?

With all of our other food weirdnesses (vegetarian, mostly dairy free, gluten-free for meals, additive free), I'm always looking for new ways to make life easier, since most convenience food isn't. (food, that is.)

This weekend, I'm going to try the terribly ambitious step of taking dried beans, rehydrating them and putting them into the pressure canner in 1 pint jars, roughly the size of store bought cans of beans.

I'm also putting up a batch of soup, using the same general plan - soak the beans, cook them for half an hour, then add them to the jars and process them for 75 minutes at 10lbs of pressure.

The Recipe:
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 T. taco seasoning
1/4 t. chipotle powder
2 lbs diced tomatoes, and their juice (off-season. I know...)
4 cups soaked beans
2 cups frozen corn
1/4 cup tomato paste (jarred, not canned)
8oz broth or water
1 t. sea salt

the bean instructions I'm starting with:
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_04/beans_peas_shelled.html

No comments:

Post a Comment